Vitreoretinal surgery has been the most astoundingly innovative subspecialty of ophthalmology in recent times and European ophthalmologists have been and are continuing to play major roles in keeping this an exciting and dynamic field.
Spending too much time in the operating theater, however, and being hampered by national and language barriers, European vitreoretinal surgeons are only slow to realize that Europe is rapidly uniting. The implications for their practice and for the future of vitreoretinal surgery have not yet been adequately considered but are likely to be tremendous.
A group of high-volume European vitreoretinal surgeons decided to become active in 2001 in uniting European colleagues by establishing the
European VitreoRetinal Society
Eight years and just as many highly successful congresses later the EVRS has truly established itself as
THE EUROPEAN SOCIETY OF VITREORETINAL SPECIALISTS
Since its inception it has also created a website second to none with enormous educational content available to all its members, has organized seven annual two-weekly training courses attended by 300 enthusiastic participants from all over the world and meanwhile has extended its reach far beyond Europe.
It boasts more than 1400 members and the last annual meeting was attended by vitreoretinal specialists from 69 countries.
You are invited to join!
If you have not already done so, please join us in establishing a powerful representation of Europe’s vitreoretinal surgeons and a society dedicated to the sharing of knowlege to the benefit of the patients in our care!
Our aims are to :
- Share our expertise among each other for the mutual benefit of all.
- Develop and promote new methods of teaching and student/master interaction in this highly complex field.
- Facilitate dialogue among European colleagues.
- Promote European ideas and techniques.
- Become active in politics to ensure that we can provide our input in Brussels in matters concerning our future interests.
Three different types of teaching are regularly offered:
- An annual congress in a different country each year.
It is truly different from the standard meetings with their 6-8 minute non-stop presentations on numerous different topics and little or no discussion – there are enough of those already. At EVRS meetings the spotlight is directed to innovation, sharing of knowledge, a free atmosphere of mutual respect and extensive discussion among audience and presenters
- A 15 days “Vitreo-Retinal Training School” teaching the concepts, the strategies and the practical basis of vitreoretinal surgery to aspiring young surgeons eager to become proficient in this new field.
- An enormous website offering videos, complete presentations of previous meetings and a growing online encyclopedia (“EVpedia”) which one day is intended to be the continuously updated knowledgebase of our vitreoretinal field
Looking forward to meet you!